Sunday, April 26, 2009

Grolsch Premium Lager

This one is old school for me. Maybe not Silver Bullet old school, but back when I was first preparing to home brew I saw these swing-tops and quickly decided that I should buy quite a few an save them so I didn't have to cap or keg right away. The good news is that I have a ton of the bottes, and they have served me well. The bad news is that I had to drink the beer out fo them.

And that's not really fair, because I like Grolsch, and back then I hadn't had the variety that I have now so I realy didn't know any better. Now I shun drinking more of one of the same beer in a two-week span and have enough in my cellar to get me by for several months. Internet beer stores are perfect for that kind of variety.

As for this one, Grolsch pours a bright but deep yellow with a huge white head for a lager. Most fizzle as they pour, but this one just builds. Lots of carbonation.

Smells a lot like a malty German pils, with an added sweetness like a Euro Golden, but it's too clean for that. Too crisp.

Solid bitterness hits you first, with a twang that's not citrus, but not an off cardboard bitterness either. Best when cold because it keeps its crispness. Gets slightly oily when warmer, like many pilsners can.

Overall a good, light lager. Falls inbetween pilsner and golden, and nowaays I'd much rather have a Czech Pilsner than this but it's certainly beter than mst lagers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment