Saturday, May 30, 2009

Santa Fe Brewing Company's Santa Fe Pale Ale

I gotta' tell you, the label is uninspiring. And I never liked that Zuni (or whatever) sun symbol that makes up the New Mexico state symbol. I like the place though, just not the cities that look dirt brown all the time. Dirty. So I'm not sure what a New Mexico beer will have to offer, based on everything I know and have seen so far.

But when I poured it, it poured fairly slow with a great tan head that sticks and good carbonation with a deep amber color. Impressive for the style by appearance, and I hope the taste is as good as the appearance.

Nice smell. Hit of grassy, herbal hops. The label says they use whole-flower hops, and I have to admit so far they don't appear to have skimped on anything but the artwork. Nice and malty as well, and just a bit sweet.

Damn. Great body for one of the lighter styles. Good grassy bitter pop up front, with a solid malt taste and twangy finish. Bitterness sticks on the back of the tongue and stays for a while. Not in a bad aftertaste sort of way, but in a solid taste kind of way. I'll have to keep a look out for this brewery, and hope that all of their beers are like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment