Friday, May 29, 2009

Stegmaier Brewing Company's All Malt Amber Lager

Never heard of it. The label looks like an old-school yankee brewery, a hold over from when the big three really took over and some older breweries managed to hold on just well enough to stay in business.

Great head for an amber, especially an amber lager. I'm looking forward to the all-malt part of this, but it admittedly makes it smell kind of flat. Great deep amber color, but oddly clear like a lot of heavily filtered lagers. Very malty for a lager though.

Wow. Surprising bitterness for an all-malt, and certainly for a lager. Bready and malty like an amber should be with a good bitter pop to it that lingers for a bit but finishes clean overall. Very good beer, especially for the style. One that I'll pick up if I ever see it offered in Texas. I just hope I remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment