Friday, April 2, 2010

Avery Brewing Company's Dugana IPA

Avery has a ton of fanboys out there, and in general I don't get it. Avery reminds me a lot of Stone, because they always seem to be trying too hard and their labels remind me of some emo wiccan in a high school art class. But I always buy them, for some reason, because I like bigger beers and these guys seem to try to make a lot of them.

This one pours a nice, slow, deep amber with a big light tan head that stays very well.

Smells great. Grassy and a bit sweet, simple, like an IPA should.

Damn. It has the bitterness, but not the body, of a barley wine. Great grassy hops, at the high end of the style, with malt that's a bit lower. Not really unbalanced, just a hop-forward version of an IPA.

Very nice surprise, and one of the best Avery beers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment