Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rahr & Sons Brewing Company's Oktoberfest

I know it's fashionable to have beers as early in the season as possible, but it's still October, so I don't feel like I'm terribly late in having my first Oktoberfest. Even if we are three weeks deep in October and Saint Arnold's Christmas Ale is coming out any day now, which is entirely too early.

Wow, great copper color with a nice tan head that stays better than most lagers. Looks loosely filtered, with decent carbonation.

Nice malty but zippy smell. The noble hops give it a slightly spicy smell as well.

Good body for a lager. Caramel malts overpower any hops, which stay in the background. Tastes like a very strong Coors, but I don't mean that in a bad way. Fades to a hollow maltiness, but the aftertaste stays malty for quite a while. The hops are more twangy than bitter, which I think they could improve upon.

Good beer. On type, but could use a little more oomph in the body if you ask me. I like the mild hops and strong aftertaste. Probably my favorite Texas Oktoberfest. It drinks very well, and before you know it the glass is empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment