Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Real Ale Brewing Company's Coffee Porter

I'm always up for a porter, or something with coffee in it, or a Texas beer, so this one stopped me in my tracks. I've also often wished Real Ale made a few more than their standard beers, and I'm glad to see it's a big one.

Pours a viscous brownish black with a good tan head. Excellent pour for the type.

Great smell. Heavily vinous and obvious coffee flavors hit you. Solid roasted malt smell as well. So far, it's looking great.

Good initial feel to it, and the vinous taste follows the smell and is good for a porter. But the carbonation is a little too fast, I think, and it lightens the body too much. I like porters with a long, slow feel, and the carbonation makes this one too zippy. The coffee taste is subdued, but the roasted malt is still there.

All in all a very good beer, I just wish the body was a bit more consistent. The carbonation is the only thing that seems just a tad off to me. I don't know, I think I'll have to try a couple more to make sure.

1 comment:

  1. I've been drinking a LOT of this lately. Mmm, coffee.

    ReplyDelete