Saturday, February 27, 2010

Avery Brewing Company's Black Tot Imperial Oak Aged Oatmeal Stout

I've always found Avery beers to be over-hyped, but they have so many fanboys out there that I thought maybe I'm wrong and they're right. And I guess it makes sense that I'd try them again with this beer, since I have a compulsion to buy anything that says stout on it.

Pours a murky, inky, opaque brown, like it should. Small tan head, which is expected in a beer so big.

Yeah, here we go. Smells like whiskey, which I wouldn't have minded ten years ago when that was what I was drinking. I never like it in a beer though.

But even then, it tastes hollow. It doesn't feel like an imperial. It's a mish-mash of various roasted, whiskey, and bitter flavors, but in a confused, unbalanced way.

Not a good beer. I'm pouring it out after two sips.

No comments:

Post a Comment