Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sierra Nevada Brewing Company's Glissade Golden Bock

I don't know why, but I've never seen this before. So, great surprise to see a new one, for me anyway, from my favorite quasi-macro brewery. I'm not real sure about a golden bock, but if anyone is going to do it right, they will.

Pours clear and golden, with a light, almost white head that is as big as you want to pour it. Slowly recedes, due to good carbonation.

Great malty smell. Crisp and clean, with no real floral or other smells that would indicate that it's hoppy, but not really overly bready either.

You know, it's only really bock-like in the aftertaste. It feels heavier than many beers, and the hops are low, so I can see why it would be a bock in style by the numbers, but it's just a bit cardboardy in bitterness and taste.

I don't know, I wish I didn't have 11 more of them now. Probably my least favorite Sierra Nevada beer.

1 comment:

  1. You haven't seen it before because it's new (it replaced ESB in their seasonal lineup this year).

    But hey, what IS your favorite bock? Tell me here.

    ReplyDelete