Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gordon Biersch Brewing Company's Blonde Bock

It's been a while since I had a Gordon Biersch beer, and I remember them as mediocre. Add to that my lackluster feeling about Sierra Nevada's Golden Bock, and all I really hope for this beer is that it doesn't suck mightily. That's okay though, low expectations are usually exceeded.

Pours a hazy light amber with a nice off white head.

Nice malty smell, with a hint of the usual lager smell to go with it. Very low pils smell to it, with a tiny alcohol bite as well.


Well, it doesn't suck mightily, but it's an odd combination of flavors. The aftertaste is the best part of it, it's bready and mellow. Up front, however, it's mostly an odd bitterness with an alcohol bite that really shouldn't be present in a beer under about 9% ABV. Overall, this just isn't a good beer and I'm wondering if the style can be done correctly at all. It seems like a European Golden that has had its flavors heightened by concentrating them, presumably by freezing the beer and scooping out the ice. But I doubt they went to all that trouble for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment