Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dogfish Head's Squall IPA

I'm a sucker for the bombers that are new to Houston, and even though I'm hit and miss on Dogfish beers and I think they play fast and loose with the rules (Palo Santo is not a brown!), I picked this one up right before the 4th,

Pours a nice enough amber, but it pours fast. I was expecting to see more body, and if it's this obvious this early, I'm guessing that it'll be even more obvious in the feel.

Smells very nice. Big and grassy, but not too much malt behind it. I'm thinking I'm one step closer to being disappointed.

Yep, sure enough. The body is just not there, which is a real let down for a beer that is supposed to be this big. It's bitter enough, but there's no malt follow through. The lack of body makes it land flat, and it just feels and tastes fizzy.

I have a couple more DFH bombers sitting around. I'll mix them in with beers that I think will even out the good/bad ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment