Thursday, September 3, 2009

Cape Ann Brewing Company's Fisherman's Ale

Man, Kolsch is one of my favorite styles, I can't believe I let one get by me and sit for this long.

Pours a bit hazy for a Kolsch, and a smidge on the amber side of yellow. We'll see what that has to do with anything in a bit. Fizzy white head that goes away quickly, almost like a macro, which is just fine in this light style of beer.

Nice, slightly sweet malt smell, a bit like a white grape instead of bread, which is right on type. The tiniest twinge of hops is noticeable. Just barely grassy.

Huh. I'm trying to place the twang that it has. It's light with a fast body that is just right, but it's twangier than I think a Kolsch should be. I can't quite place it, but it's like a zingy white grape juice almost. The hops, which are a little higher than most Kolschs, provide the zing I guess, and the malt doesn't settle down to any noticeable grain taste until the aftertaste.

Not sure about this one. Kolsch is one style where less is more, and this one seems to go in several different directions that I don't really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment