Sunday, September 13, 2009

Schneider Weiss's Hefe-Weizen

An 8.2% ABV hefe? Interesting.

I'm sure I've had this one before, but don't remember it fully. I'm iffy on some of their beers, really like others, and I'm hoping for the best out of this one.

Pours a hazy, slightly amber yellow, with a great light tan head that gets pillowy and stays.

Man, quite an odd and sharp chemical smell being thrown off. It seemed hoppy at first, but as the head settled it changed more to a sharp alcohol and plastic smell. I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I get a hint of banana under it all, especially right after the pour. Damnit I hate admitting that. Although I use that descriptor sparingly (this makes the second beer ever that I've used it with), instead of with every other beer like some do.

Ugh. What an horrible band aid and chemical taste. The malty is under tehre, but I'm not taking another sip.

From now on, I just have to remember:

American wheat beers: Good.
European hefes: Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment