Friday, January 15, 2010

Southern Star Brewing Company's Buried Hatchet Stout

Sweet, I've been looking forward to this one. I'm lame and never get out to good beer bars, so I was glad to see it in cans at Spec's. I've often bemoaned the lack of a year-round stout in Texas that was readily available, so this will give Southern Star a leg up over St. A's in Houston in this category. At least until St. A's decides to make theirs year-round, which I hope they do.

This one pours deep black with a hint of brown, with a nice small-celled head. It pours soft, smooth.

Smells very nice. Deeper and more substantial than a standard stout, it has a fairly heavy roasted coffee smell. Nice malt to it, but overall the coffee stands out.

The feel is a little lighter than the appearance would indicate, more in like with a standard stout. Moderate bitterness that still doesn't compete with the roasted coffee taste except in the aftertaste, where the roasted coffee and grain flavors fade off quickly.

Very good beer. I'll have to try it on draft, I bet it picks up even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment