Monday, January 18, 2010

Tallgrass Brewing Company's Kold

I'm a victim of my curiosity sometimes. And my compulsion to try at least one of everything I haven't had before. So even though I have been less than impressed with Tallgrass beers, I had to buy this one. (But only one.)

Pours fairly light yellow, although not as clear as a Budweiser, with strong carbonation and a bright white head that thins but stays.

The label says pilsner malt with notes of honey and citrus, so I labeled it as a pilsner. Smells like a good Czech variety, because it's less malty than a German, and more zippy.

Yep. There's a rough, cardboard bitterness in there somewhere, but it's right on type for a Czech pils. It has the funky bitterness that it needs, and a light body that goes down nicely. I don't know about the citrus, but the honey is there and makes it dry quickly. Kind of tastes like a funky honey wheat.

I like it. It's a decent twist on a pils, and in my opinion their best so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment