Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Stone Brewing Company's Old Guardian Barleywine,

I personally dislike Stone. All of that "you're not worthy" bullshit is ridiculous. And the gargoyles? Makes them seem like a bunch of emo wimps.

But like stouts, I have to try every barleywine I run across. Plus, after a long day at work, there's nothing like a bomber of 11.1% ABV beer.

Pours a slow, deep copper with a nice tan head that thins to a sheet. Slow carbonation tells me there's a good body in this one.

The head throws off a very grassy and sharp hops smell, which moderates to a sweet bready malt.

Fairly big feel, but a bit watery for a barleywine. Sharp hops with an odd twang. Not the appropriate bitterness that a barleywine should have, but a harsh, sharpness that isn't pleasant.

I can't remember the last bomber I poured out, but I'm wondering whether or not this will be one. It's just not a good barleywine.

No comments:

Post a Comment