Monday, March 8, 2010

Wychwood Brewery's Hobgoblin Dark English Ale

I've seen this in larger bottles but the label art always pushed me away. So I was glad to find a twelve-ouncer that I could put in a mixed sixer. Because I have to try it, but I don't want to buy too much of it, since I'm expecting a flop.

Pours like a brown, with moderate carbonation and a thin tan head. Not bad, really, but I was expecting darker as in toward black.

Smells like sweet bread. Plus a little something that smells like a cross between cloves and allspice.

It has a fizzy soft drink feel, with an odd bitterness that gets very harsh, like cardboard. Moderately hoppy, which fades to the dull bitterness. The odd spice taste is there as well, but duller. In general, it has the body of a macro with the taste, I don't know, of a dark macro. Tastes like lots of adjunct grains.

Glad it's only a single bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment