Thursday, December 3, 2009

Boulevard Brewing Company's Boulevard Pilsner

Uhhhhhh, the label says "genuine American lager," but it's a pilsner. Clearly not an American beer. It doesn't say what style pils it is, but by smell alone I'm going with Czech. And the label is clearly a rip off of Budvar and Czechvar, with the Boulevard being a match of the low hanging fruit variety.

I haven't been terribly impressed by Boulevard beers to date, but like stouts, I have to buy every pils I see.

Pours a deep yellow with an amber tinge, and strong carbonation that keeps the fizzy white head alive.

Skunky smell, like a pils should have, and a Czech pils especially. That's a good thing, the way it's supposed to be.

Fairly malty for a Czech, but only in the feel. Still has that light, bitter, and skunky taste to it that this style needs. Like all pilsners, it's best cold. It gets a little oily as it warms, and the sharpness dulls a bit.

Best Boulevard beer I've ever had. Still not an American style though, and not near as good as Urquell, Czechvar or Budvar. I even like Czech Rebel better. But still, it's a decent one. I'm sure the BS label affected me more than it should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment