Sunday, December 6, 2009

Odell Brewing Company's Isolation Ale

I'm going to make the rounds of several winter seasonals over the next few days. I'll start here, and move up to the ones that I expect to be much better. Still, I have high hopes for this one, since it's one of my recent beer haul from out of state.

I'm going to call this one a winter warmer, although it says nothing as to style on the label or the website. If you're listening Odell, you should put that on there. Just because.

Pours a coppery amber, almost like a red. Nice but not impressive tan head and good carbonation.

Smells right for a warmer. Slightly spicy hops smell, with a hint of malt. Light overall, and instead of bitter the hops are more peppery than anything, like a warmer should be.

Nice. Still a little peppery, which gives it a good zip. No alcohol bite or hops flavor, which appear to be just bittering hops that linger just a bit in the aftertaste. Warmers are never really sexy, but when done well, like this one, they're light and drinkable but have good flavor to them. Nothing extreme, just a good beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment