Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Atwater Brewery's Vanilla Java Porter

I'm skeptical of beer with vanilla in it. But it came with the pilsner of the same brewery, so I thought I'd try it out.

Pours a foggy, opaque brown with a medium tan head that's pretty good for a porter. The last of the pour is darker than the first, telling me that either the java or the vanilla settles, maybe both.

Vanilla. It's not too crazy, but it's the most prominent smell.

Ugh. Way too much vanilla with a slight coffee taste underneath. Not roasted, and slightly grainy like a porter should be. I can't get past the vanilla. It's just flat out too much. Tastes like a cream soda, with a slightly fizzy carbonation and a milky feel like a milk stout. Odd combination of smooth and crisp, but washing out all of it is the vanilla.

Pouring this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment