Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lakefront Brewery's White Beer

I know I'm not going to like this beer. But it was free, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

Pours perfect for the style. Big fluffy white head with tiny cells and a hazy yellow color with moderate carbonation. Kind of an odd neon-like appearance. Slightly glowing.

Yeah, smells like a Belgian. It has the standard phenolic yeasty smell that many people call bananas and cloves, just because they think that's what they're supposed to say. It smells exactly like a Belgian wit should, but nothing like a banana and not even close to cloves.

Huh. You know what? It's OK. Still has a lot of the phenols I'm not fond of, but it's balanced by a twang that makes it work. Not bitterness from hops, really, but a citrus type of zip that evens out the odd dullness of the yeast.

I'd have it again. I'm not a huge fan of oranges even in Belgians, but I bet it would make this one even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment