Monday, February 2, 2009

The Brewery Craigmill's Froach Heather Ale

Just as a note, the internet hasn't made it to Scotland yet so I have no link for you on this one... I've heard quite a bit about the style, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Pours a deep orangish amber, unfiltered in appearance and with a great pillowy light tan head that slowly recedes.

Smells like a solid pale. There are no hops, but it has a grassy twang from the herbs it does use. As the head is forming it throws off a huge sweet bready and lavender smell.

Interesting. Very mild in every aspect. Mild bitterness that isn't as though it came from hops. Mild bready taste that isn't truly malty, with an overlying floral perfume that isn't easy to pin down. Not as simple as 'heather' or 'lavender,' but it is, with a slightly soapy residual feel.

Interesting beer, and I'm glad I had one of this style. I probably won't be looking for another one unless I can get it fresh and local.

No comments:

Post a Comment