Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Saint Arnold Brewing Company's Christmas Ale

You know, I've always had this in a bottle. I'll be damned if it isn't a completely different beer in a glass.

Pours a coppery amber, a surprise to me because I always envisioned it as much lighter in color, although the brown bottle left no way of telling. Big, very light tan head that stays well and never completely goes away due to decent carbonation.

Initially, as it was throwing off that huge head, it was very vinous, and had a very strong acidic, tannic smell like a vineragy red wine. That faded to a great malty smell, slightly bready and slightly spicy. Very slightly though, which is a good thing because as I mention with other old ales or warmers, spices are easily overdone in beer.

In the past I always commented that this one tasted like a strong Coors. I've had it quite a bit, and it always seemed like that. This time, though, it's much closer to a winter warmer. But not overly spiced, like many of them are, and it relies on hops (even with only 35 IBU's), instead of the spices normally associated with warmers. So, it's right in line with the way an old ale should be. A non-descript bitterness lingers slightly in the aftertaste, but in general this one is more malty than bitter, slightly spicy.

Good beer. Not sure if I like it in a bottle or a glass more, but in a glass it's much truer to style.

No comments:

Post a Comment