Monday, November 30, 2009

Ballast Point Brewing Company's Wahoo Wheat Beer

Damn. Every time I see a beer I haven't had I buy it. I have to learn to read first. I saw 'wheat' and jumped on this one, then got it home and saw that it's a Belgian style wit. Damn.

Pours like an American wheat. Clear golden yellow with a fizzy white head that disappears quickly. Pours fast, looks zippy.

Smells zippier than most Belgians too. Less yeasty, plastic-y, chemical-y. So far so good. I'm hoping the folks at Ballast Point just don't know what a Belgian wit tastes like, and the label is wrong. It also says a wit is characterized by its cloudy appearance due to the yeast and unmalted oats, and this one is clear as a bell. So even if they know what a wit is, it's not one so far.

Huh. Tastes like apple juice. There's a hit of Belgian, but it's very subdued. The body feels like apple juice--like heavy water. Very low carbonation lends to that feel. It hazes up slightly as it warms, and the carbonation picks up in the feel. But that just makes it feel zippy, like an American wheat.

Eh. Okay beer, I guess. This one may not be too fresh, but that probably played to my particular taste. A newer one may be more Belgian-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment