Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Indian Wells Brewing Company's Blackout Stout

Sweet. I have loved everything by Indian Wells so far. A Bock with over 10% ABV that's so smooth you can barely taste the alcohol? Who wouldn't love that? Every other beer of their that I've had since the first bock has been almost as good, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Pours inky black with a smallish dark tan head that fades pretty quickly. Admittedly, I wanted to try this one as soon as possible so I quick-chilled it by sticking it in the ice maker, so I bet the head would normally be bigger.

Moves slower than a standard stout, and is darker. not as substantial as an RIS, but more than the usual. Smells deep and smooth, a tad grainy and roasted. Not strong like an RIS, just steady.

Excellent taste. Straight stouts aren't too sexy, but this one is more substantial in every category without getting overly roasted like Ted Fidy, or overly hoppy like Storm King. Solid and even roasted malt, with decent bitterness without going overboard. The bitterness is indistinct--it's not grassy or piney or floral, it just is.

One of my favorite stouts. Substantial, without all the crazy that others try to introduce in an attempt to stand out. Like every Indian Wells beer so far, it's one of the best in the style. Although their IPA didn't age too well, their bock did and I bet this one will too. If they last that long, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment