Monday, November 30, 2009

Ceylon Brewery's Lion Stout

I took down my list of countries from which I've had beers because it seemed kind of whorish. I'm not trying to tick off a list, I just want to try a bunch of different beer from different places. But if I had the list up, I'd love to check off this beer from Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka? What the hell do they know about beer, you ask?

Well, they make a damn good stout.

Pours deep brown with reddish highlights. Dark. Closer to an RIS than a straight up stout, by appearance. Has a great brown head that gets rocky and develops large cells. Looks great, all around.

Subtle roasted smell, with equal parts but also subtle chocolate. Interesting.

Wow. Substantially heavier in body than I expected. Complex roasted grain and stronger chocolate. Slight alcohol bite, but it doesn't get in the way. Almost a lactose taste and feel, but primarily chocolate with moderate bitterness.

This is probably one of the most pleasant surprises I've ever had in a beer. I fully expected it to be just another crap beer from a crap country (don't tell the Tamil Tigers I said that), but this is one of the best stouts I've ever had. I kid you not. I will buy it every time I see it, and may well include it in my internet orders from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment