Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Boston Brewing Company's Long Shot Cranberry Wit

Oh, man. Sweetheart, whoever you are, I am so sorry for what the artist did to your picture.

Other than that, this is the third in this year's Long Shot mixed pack. Hope it picks up.

Pours a hazy orangish yellow like a wit should, with a light tan head that is too big, telling me that it's probably throwing off a lot of the taste that should have stayed in the beer.

Smells like a maltier than normal wit. Slight yeasty but more bready that usual. No real cranberry smell to it, which may be a good thing because it is an indicator that they didn't go overboard in the fruit flavor, a mistake that most fruit beers make.

Well, it tastes more like a coors than anything. It has that hevaily adulturated malt flavor. The tartness of what may be the cranberry flavor seems to be what gives this beer the bitterness that it has. If it's from any degree of hops, it's way out of style for a wit. As it is, I guess it's not too bad because the tartness drowns out the plastic taste that most wits have.

Eh. Like most Sam Adams beers, it's just off. But that's OK with me in a wit, because it's just not my favorite style from the start. I felt compelled to try the Long Shot series, but I'm glad it's over until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment