Friday, August 14, 2009

Unibroue's Chambly Noire

A beer in honor of a French regiment? I hope it puts up a better fight than they do. Or at least isn't known for massacring a bunch of indians.

Head's too big. Yes, too big. Pours opaque black with amber edges and a big tan head that gets in the way. I pour into a glass that's twice as big as I need for a regular 12 oz. bottle, and I had to stop pouring. It fades, but it shouldn't have been that big from the start.

Smells decent, but I hope the head isn't throwing off all the flavor. Malty and a bit sweet, it smells like the schwarzbier I had yesterday but with that Belgian overly ripe fruit smell.

Yeah, it actually feels like a lager because of the over-carbonation, but tastes like a Belgian double. And as you know if you've read any of this blog, I'm not a Belgian fan. Nor am I a Unibroue fanboy. On top of that it has an odd twangy aftertaste that can't go away fast enough.

Glad it was a part of a mixed pack, so I didn't have to spend too much for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment