Monday, August 31, 2009

Rahr and Sons Brewing Company's Rahr's Red

I wanted to do an update on this beer because this bottle is so much different from the one I reviewed about a month ago. Even though it came from the same six pack, and went into the same glass...

This one poured the way it should. It didn't foam, and didn't have large floaties in it. Medium amount of reddishness, it looks like a straight amber, but has a good tan head that gets pillowy and fades slowly with good carbonation.

Smells like a solid, hoppy amber. Slight malt to it, but a crisp bitterness that comes from the hops. More of a raw grain smell than bread in the malt.

Good bitterness up front, slightly less body than an amber which is what I have come to see as the characteristic that sets reds apart from ambers. Yes, I know they're different colors too, but I'm talking about substantive issues. Part of having a little less body means having a little less follow through in the taste. The malt doesn't help it stick around for long, and it fades quickly to a zippy, slightly bitter aftertaste.

I like you Rahr and Sons Brewery, but so help me God if your consistency doesn't pick up I will quit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment