Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Spoetzel Brewery's Shiner Blonde

I've had a couple of these over the years, but largely don't remember much about it so I was glad to see it in the family pack.

It pours a clear, light yellow with a crisp white head and good carbonation. Smells more like a lighter pilsner than a blonde, since it has that slight funk to it. I envision a blonde as a light lager with fairly muted characteristics. Malty, but not distinctive in any serious category. This is closer to a pils.

Yep. Taste is very close to a pilsner. A German maltier one, I think. If not for having read the label, I would have put it in that category in a blind test. Good, crisp, and zippy, it has low bitterness and the pilsner taste that really shouldn't be in any other style. It fades to a malty bitterness when the light and sweet malt fades to what seems more like a grainy bitterness than a hoppy one. It doesn't have the Shiner taste that many of their variants have, which is a good thing.

I like it. But it's a pilsner.

No comments:

Post a Comment