Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Brew Dog Brewery's Paradox Whisky Cask Aged Stout

I am incapable of learning. I buy every new beer that comes across my face, but always regret buying the various types that I don't like very much. Still, I feel compelled.

In this case it's another oak aged stout. And true to form it pours well, but I already can't stand the smell. It's an opaque black with brown highlights and a decent tan head. Smells like whisky (no 'e') though, not beer. Smells smoother than some American variants though, so maybe Scottish whisky really is better than American whiskey. I know a few Scots who proclaim this, but I hope they're not readers. (Of course they're not.)

You know, the more you smell it the smoother and more complex than American beers it becomes. It's fairly obvious, in fact. Also unlike many of the brash American versions, the malt retains some of its characteristics and there's a good roasted malt flavor that comes out a few seconds after each sip. The whisky hits first, of course, but it fades to the roasted flavor, which lingers a bit and then it finished pretty clean for an oak aged stout.

I won't buy it again, but if I was asked to name my favorite oak aged beer, this would be it. Right after Oak Aged Yeti. Suck it, Scots.

No comments:

Post a Comment