Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Florida Beer Company's Key West Golden Lager

Another questionable delivery from one of my beer of the month clubs. I'm less than impressed with the label, and chose this one before the IPA from the same brewery because I'm usually less than impressed with this style and I'm hoping that if it's not very good I can wash the taste out with their IPA. I find myself already hoping their IPA is good.

It's also my first beer from Florida, and I'm not sure of that's a good or a bad thing.

Decent head for any lager, especially one this light. It pours the standard clear, oily looking yellow that the style should have, and the large head sticks pretty well. I expected it to be much fizzier. Moderate to low carbonation.

Smells sickly-sweet, with a bit of cardboard bitterness that like a pilsner comes more from the grain than any degree of hops. Except unlike a good pilsner, these are adjunct grains. So far, it smells like a sweeter macro. Maybe it because there's more malt, we'll see.

Yep. Like a Euro Golden, it's sweet and cheap tasting. A European version of an American Macro. There's a bit more malt than a rice-fueled macro, but it's not right, except for the style. The style isn't right, so that's not truly redeeming.

It's not awful, it's just a weak style. I wouldn't drink it even in Florida by choice, and much prefer Budweiser except I'd rather support a smaller brewery. So, if in Florida, I'll probably pick Yeungling, which I can't get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment