Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Avery Brewing's Ale to the Chief

I know, I know, drinking this one on Inauguration day is gay. Still, I had to.

Pours a great coppery amber with a huge tan head. This is the first head on a pale of any type that I've ever seen cascade (like Guinness, for those unfamiliar with the term), and then it gets pillowy before it slowly fades. Moderate carbonation with big bubbles that slowly rise, a sign of a heavy bodied DIPA, I'm hoping.

Great grassy smell with a big, bready malt backbone. Not complex, but right what it should be.

Huh. Falls kind of flat on the taste. The grassy hops hit you right up front, but then quickly fade to a muted grassy-sweet flavor. Goddangit, it has Belgian dubbel traits that really bring it down for me. It mutes the taste and dulls the feel. I expected more of a fresh hop taste out of a dry hopped beer like this, especially a DIPA. The bitterness fades quickly, then finishes with a tart sweetness. Fairly substantial body, but the taste is relatively dull, moreso as it warms.

Great day, mediocre beer. About average for Avery.

No comments:

Post a Comment