Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Victory Brewing's Storm King Stout

In an effort to wash the taste of Prima Pils out of my mouth, which you'd think would be easier after having poured half of that abomination down the drain, I moved on to Victory's Storm King Stout.

As with all Victory beers, I know this one's going to be hoppier than others of the same type. Too hoppy? I'm hoping so, that way it'll scrub the Prima taste off of my tongue.

Pours an opaque black with a huge dark tan head that slowly fades. Reddish highlights around the outsides, if the light is able to get through it just a bit.

Huge roasted grainy smell like a substantial stout should have. It's also backed up by a very floral, very grassy hops. Straightforward and simple, this is going to be a roasted hop bomb.

Sure enough, a strong roasted and molasses flavor hits you right up front and then quickly gives way to the grassy hops that grab the back of your tongue. Slightly sweet, but only in the last of the aftertaste. Very good stout, and my only criticism would be that it's too hoppy. It doesn't throw the beer out of the style, however, which is good. Another example of not doing something just because you can, but with this brewery I give more leeway as long as there's some semblance of the style left.

No comments:

Post a Comment