Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bell's Brewery's Expedition Stout

I thought Bell's Expedition Stout was on the porter side of a stout, and it's billed as "the vintage port of American stout" so I'm patting myself on the back for this one.

Pours an almost inky black. Almost as dark as their Kalamazoo, but a slight brown tint to it. Not as good a head as Kalamazoo, due to the heavier malt and probably higher alcohol content, but a decent dark tan head nonetheless. I'm thinking it's odd that this, an impy, isn't as dark in appearance as Kalamazoo, a milk stout, but all in all that doesn't affect my thoughts on it too much.

Good roasted grain smell, slightly vinous like it borders on the line between stout and porter. No alcohol smell, which is amazing because this one has 10.5% ABV.

Wow, huge bitterness. Creamy feel due to low carbonation, again similar to a porter, but this one grabs you. Huge bitterness that finishes with grain, and a coffee aftertaste.

Verges on "too bitter for a stout" for me, but it's still a good beer. I prefer Kalamazoo, it seems like it was more thought out than this one. Overall I'm starting to like this brewery though, and I hope they find their way to Texas sometime soon.

Follow Up: I let this beer sit a bit, and as it warmed the hops subsided quite a bit and it took on a very nutty, chocolatey flavor. It improved a ton, in my opinion. I'll have to keep that in mind for later if I get to have this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment