Sunday, January 18, 2009

Beer Blogs

I took a little look through several beer blogs today, to see what others were saying. I ran across an odd menagerie of sites, most of which had some professional connection for the author. The ones that didn't were mostly home brewers, and those guys had their heads in the right places. The ones that were just self-promotion, well, they professed to know the most while at the same time contributing the least to my understanding of a beer they were reviewing.

I was especially amused by some of the females--the MySpace camera angles were the best. Face it honey, drinking a lot of beer makes you a bigger girl than you would otherwise have been. The face/clevage shot can't hide that fact. Beer sommelier? I know a few. They're generally full of themselves. Promoting a book or career through a blog? You're doing it wrong. Fancy pictures of the bottle and glass at different angles? Meh (although a nice touch).

So in the event that anyone ever reads any of this and thinks the same thing about me, feel free to comment on it. But know that these comments are for my own record, and that I'm not selling myself or my services here. If you want recommendations on how to better get your point across without all of the distractions, or how to better market yourself or your books, just let me know. I'd be glad to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment