Thursday, January 15, 2009

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Well, it appears that I have lost my taste for more than just Belgians. Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout makes a fairly decent bourbon, but a lousy beer, I think.

It's not because it defies expectations--one thing I've learned about the many beers that I've tried, especially the more extreme types, is that if they say they're something they generally are. Hop bombs, quads, you name it, the big beers deliver big flavors. So, objectively this beer is exactly what it says it is. It may even be under-advertised. But that doesn't mean I like it. Shit on a shingle is also well described in Army mess halls, and from what I hear it kind of sucks.

Pours black--the closest thing to Ten FIDY I've seen. It's as dark, but not as thick, as Ten FIDY. It would have been perfect if it had any real degree of head. The deep tan head on this one never really forms and stays at a collar.

Great bourbon smell, along the lines of Maker's Mark, but with a heavy bread smell mixed in.

It must be the alcohol content that really brings out the bourbon. It lends a bourbon sting in addition to the bourbon taste. As it warms there's really nothing but the bourbon taste with a sweetness from the heavy malt. What would normally be a roasted taste in a heavy stout is drowned out by the bourbon and alcohol. There's a slight deep coffee taste that comes through every once in a while.

I don't know, it's not my thing. I'd slam it harder, but damn if it isn't correctly labeled as bourbon first, stout second. My subjective taste doesn't mean it isn't objectively correct for the style, but since I can only judge by my taste I'm going to have to pass on recommending this one to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment