Wednesday, January 21, 2009

St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout

Well, it's from Quebec, which is the same as the Surrender Monkeys across the pond, or Louisiana, which is no better, but it was free and you know what, it looks good in the bottle and I'm a sucker for a stout of almost any type.

This one pours inky black, the darkest non-impy stout I can remember. Light tan head that is a decent size, but fades pretty quickly.

Has a deep, grainy smell. A bit sweet, like a milk stout. Not hugely malty like I'd expect from such a dark beer, and no apparent hops. Smells kind of like cold milk, maybe with a little coffee thrown in.

Like the smell, the taste is more like a milk stout than oatmeal, except the coffee smell comes across as a roasted flavor in the taste. I like this beer, but it feels off type. The purist in me thinks I would like it more as a milk stout. But it's a damn good beer if you don't let hyper-technicalities get in the way.

I'f I'm ever in Quebec, I'll make them surrender more of this to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment