Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Boston Brewing Company's Long Shot Traditional Bock

Again, congratulations to the home brewer who won this year's Long Shot. It has to be an honor for the folks who won. And like the Long Shot DIPA, I'm sure your version that you sent in was better than what Sam Adams did to it.

I guess I could congratulate Sam Adams for not getting ground glass in the beer though. That's a step up.

Like I mentioned in the other Long Shot review, it had to be because as a general rule Sam Adams beers are complete bullshit. Barely better than Coors, except with the claim that they're craft beers they actually fall far short of what we all know Coors to be. If Coors claimed to be craft, they'd be a bigger liar than Sam Adams, but they don't. So Sam Adams is the biggest liar in the beer world.

I'm sure you disagree. So go write your own blog about what an idiot I am.

This one pours a good, clear, deep copper with the best head I've seen in a BBC beer, which is more surprising for a bock. It's not as big or pillowy as the Anchor Bock, and it does fade, but it's good. Good carbonation as well.

Smells good too. Slight raisin smell, but mostly a solid bread smell from the malt. So far, so good.

At first taste I was tempted to bag on it. It seems a bit too twangy but the style is broad enough for this one. Good malt flavor with a hint of alcohol that gets bigger as it warms. As it warms the twang subsides as well.

Good beer. I don't search out bocks, but this one would be one that I certainly wouldn't avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment