Saturday, July 18, 2009

Spoetzel Brewery's Shiner Hefeweizen

Well, a bottle conditioned Shiner is something to try. And they put out good lighter summer beers, if you ask me.

This one pours a hazy yellow with an amber hue and a crisp white head that quickly thins. Smells surprisingly malty, with a hint of citrus--orange, not the lemon.

A bit tart. I've had it before, and I don't remember it being this tart or this dry. The honey explains the dryness, but I thought it was much more of a wheat beer than this. As it warms it seems more like a wheat beer but the tartness never goes away. Hard to tell if it's zippy because of the wheat or the honey.

All in all a decent beer. Not quite macro, not quite craft. About right for a Shiner. Good summer beer that I'll reach for when looking for something from Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment