Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rogue Brewing Company's Hazlenut Brown Nectar

Rogue is one of my favorite breweries, despite the cheesy artwork. Still, they make an impressive variety of beers and give lots of information on the bottles. Their Imperial series are great offerings as well and their Imperial Pilsner is one of my all time favorites. So I do go back to even their more pedestrian offerings from time to time, sometimes just to see what I think about them a second time around.

Like this one. I distinctly remember thinking that I didn't want to really try this again because it was too nutty, but it was given to me as a gift so what the heck.

Pours a clear, deep copper with a light tan head that thins fairly quickly despite pretty strong carbonation. Smells mostly malty. Like they may have toned it down.

Ack. Nope. Tastes like I'm drinking a peanut butter sandwich. Otherwise it's appropriately crisp and malty for a brown, and I bet the next few sips are better because I know what to expect, but I'll have to keep in mind that free or not, it'smy least favorite of the Rogue beers by a damn sight. The taste smooths from peanut butter to a more raw hazlenut taste as it warms, but it's still too much. I wish brewers would make an effort not to over do things like nut, fruit, or other added flavors. Too much of a good thing is just not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment