Thursday, July 16, 2009

Independence Brewing Company's Bootlegger Brown

The last Independence beer I bought foamed out of my glass, so it took a while for me to consider buying another one, even if it is brewed here in Texas.

This one pours well, though. Fairly opaque for a brown. Small head that quickly fades, like many browns have. Moderate carbonation.

Fairly nutty for a brown that's not advertised as such. Hazlenut, I think, more than anything else. Nutty, but not over the top. Slight malt smell fights through as well.

Huh. Very vinous, too much for a brown. It's like a nutty porter. Barely malty, with almost imperceptible bitterness. Not a bad beer, but off for a brown. The nutty flavor is very light and in my opinion this is closer to what Rogue's Hazlenut Brown Nectar should be more like. If only this beer was going for that taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment