Friday, July 24, 2009

Otter Creek Brewing Company's Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout

Although I'm usually disappointed in organic beers, I can't pass up a new stout. Well, new to me, anyway.

Pours an opaque black once in the glass, but while pouring is a deep brownish black, on type for a non-imperial stout. Great tan head that slowly fades, which I hope is indicative of a better body than most stouts, due to the oatmeal.

Good roasted grain smell, with distinct oatmeal.

Pretty good. Very good upfront roasted grain taste, with the oatmeal adding more to the body than the taste. Feels a little hollow to me as it goes down, but that's probably because I like and am used to the heavier stouts. Moderate bitterness.

I like it. More roasted flavor than most stouts, and the oatmeal does boost the body a bit and make it a little more full than regular stouts. Eh, if I see it around I may pick it up again. It's a good compromise if I know someone I'll be with doesn't like the heavier beers like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment