Friday, July 24, 2009

Rahr and Sons Brewing Company's Rahr's Red

I always try to buy a Texas beer when at the store, so I was glad to see this one come back. Rahr has solid beers, and I've liked every one of them except for their Summertime Wheat, which is too Belgian for me but otherwise I bet pretty good.

This one pours a moderate, coppery red. Too foamy. Unusual for one of their beers, and I hope it doesn't throw off all of the taste as the head recedes. Took several slow pours to empty the bottle. The pillowy tan head would have been just right otherwise.

Lots of large floaties, including one or two stuck to the side of the bottle. Combined with the heavy foam, it looks like this one is infected. I don't think this beer is bottle conditioned, and even if it is these are fairly large chunks. Damnit.

Good smell. Slightly spicier and more peppery than a straight up amber. Malt is lighter than I think it should be though.

This one is soapy (no, it's not my glass, which was clean), and I think I'm gonna' stop there. I've had this beer in the past and enjoyed it. Something's wrong with it, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment