Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Farm Road 713

I take the back roads to and from just about anywhere if I can, so on the drive back from Lockhart to Houston I drove southeast down FM 713 to I-10.

If you've ever been to or heard of Bastrop State Park, you know about the Lost Pines. The Lost Pines are a peculiar stand of pine trees in a place where they shouldn't be. When one of the last ice ages came through, somehow they spared the area around Bastrop and left pine trees there, but scoured the land in a way that took them out to the west and east for miles until you get pretty close to Houston.

Until today, I thought the Lost Pines were centered on Bastrop State Park, but I was miles southwest of the park when I came upon more pine trees where they just shouldn't be. I guess it's the southwestern most edge of those in Bastrop, but mixed in with more post oaks and cedars.

Trivial, maybe, but enough of an oddity if you keep up with Texas plants that I thought I should keep track of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment