Saturday, July 18, 2009

Unibroue's Ephemere

I'm not a Unibroue fanboy, although I do like La Fin Du Monde. They just lean a little too Belgian-y for my taste. But, I've always kind of wanted to try this one, and because it come in a mixed four pack it meant I'd be able to try all four types and pay 1/4 as much as usual, so I had to pick it up.

Pours a hazy yellow, with a crisp white head and huge carbonation that throws off the green apple smell aggressively. The smell is overwhelmingly green apple, but it can't completely hide the Belgian wit smell that I feared would follow the wit appearance.

Yep, that's exactly what this is. A tart Belgian wit. The tartness makes it much better than most, I'll give you that, and the apple flavor isn't over the top probably because I'd rather taste it than the wit, whereas in most beers this level of fruit (or spice, or smoke, or nut, or whatever) flavor would be too much.

Glad I had the opportunity to pick this up as a mixed pack. It'll prevent me from having to buy it in a larger quantity. But if you like wits, and think that fruit flavors should be overpowering, you'll like it better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment