Sunday, July 26, 2009

Jim's Krispy Fried Chicken

This is one of those non-BBQ institutions that you have to go to. Period.

I have a great story from when Anna Nicole Smith used to work here. Yes, I do. No, I'm not telling you. Think of it like Vegas. What happens in Anna Nicole, stays in Anna Nicole. Or something.

Anyway, this is one of two fried chicken places I'll go well out of my way for. They have huge pieces and you can get a box full for cheap, unlike the chains. Because there are always customers, the food rotates out fast, and they have great sides. I stay away from the corn, and the mashed potatoes are instant, but I kind of miss middle school and it reminds me of back then. The fried okra is perfect. Order a large, and tell them "yes, I know how big the large is," when they ask, even though you don't. You'll wish you had more of it if you didn't, it's their best side. Great rolls too. The chicken tenders are big, adn they have a spicy version that is nice and zippy. I like to stand at the window outside, but going inside is faster.

Say hi to everyone you see and hold the door open, even though most won't say anything back and generally won't thank you for opening the door. Mexia (pronounced "Muh-hay-uh, but "Muh-hay-er," by the locals, or if you're really country "Muh-hair"), is just that way. Small town without the small town charm, and they even tore out the traffic circle that was the only other good thing about the place. Come for the fried chicken, then get the hell out at the posted speed, because the place is also a notorious speed trap.




312 E Milam St
Mexia, TX 76667
(254) 562-5035

No comments:

Post a Comment