Monday, July 6, 2009

Great Divide Brewing Company's Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Russian Imerial Stout

Another rarity in Texas, so I had to grab it when I saw it at Spec's. One of my all time favorite breweries too, and Yeti was my gateway RIS. The Oak Aged Yeti is an excellent, not-so-bourbony beer as well, so I'm thinking this one is going to be great as well.

Pours thick and opaque. Slow. Fantastic deep coffee-brown head that slowly recedes. Great roasted malt smell with a hint of bourbon and slight sweetness. The huge roasted malt keeps the bourbon back, but it's stronger in this one than Oak Aged Yeti. Bit of a milk-stout feel, smooth, like lactose would give it. Hoppy bitterness fights through as well. Cayenne? Eh, I noticed it after I read the label, but I would have preferred it without it. I initially thought the zip to be from the higher alcohol, but I guess it's the pepper by the way it stays in the aftertaste. You feel it more than taste it though. I've seen worse things done to beer for sure, but that just seems off.

I hope Great Divide isn't going the way of some of the other breweries that run odd one-off experiments from time to time, but I guess the market pushes in weird directions.

Good beer. A step down from their standards though.

No comments:

Post a Comment