Monday, July 13, 2009

Brewdog Brewery's Rip Tide Twisted Merciless Stout

Cheezy name, but I can never pass up a new stout.

Pours an opaque black with amber to ruby highlights. Pours thinly, like a standard stout, and has a small light tan head that isn't too reminiscent of an imperial stout either. Good deep, vinous smell though. That puts it closer to a porter to my tastes, but as long as it starts getting more substantial that's all I care about. Roasted grain smell and alcohol are the most prominent smells aside from the tannins.

I can see where they get the liquorice description on their website. Very vinous feel to it as well, and a a taste that I'd say is closer to raisins or prunes than liquorice. Maybe black jelly beans, a nice middle ground. Low bitterness for the actual 65 IBU's that the brewer claims, so that's a good thing if you ask me.

Overall a good beer and I'll try their other offerings. Interesting take on the style, but it still feels more like an imperial porter than an imperial stout to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment