Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dave's Rib Shack

I drive past this hole in the wall on West 1960 every once in a while, and I never would have noticed the place if not for the guy with a bullhorn yelling at me as I drive by. I figured his hard work should pay off at least once, so I pulled in.

The place always seems empty when I go past, so I was glad to give the little guy some business. I ordered the three meat dinner with ribs, chicken and brisket, and beans and slaw for sides.

The beans tasted like they were straight out of a can, but they were cooked long enough and not too bad. The slaw was shredded and seemed like it was made by them. It was a little peppery, but good. The dressing was light and it didn't clump up. Pretty darn good, to me.

The ribs came with sauce on them, which is not ideal, but it was a good molasses based sauce that wasn't too sweet or too spicy, but was zippy. It was better than store-bought, and about what you would expect from a roadside joint. The ribs, though, were great. They fell off the bone easily and were fairly lean. Great smoke flavor.

The chicken was even better. It had sauce as well, but it came off with the skin so it wasn't overpowering. Even the dark meat was firm without being too dry, and had a great smoke flavor as well.

The brisket was dry, and needed the sauce. It seemed like it had been cooked far more than smoked, and it had very little flavor. It was pretty lean, which I like, and I'm not really offended by dry meat, but it was tougher than it should have been. All in all, it was the only halfway disappointing part of the meal. I'll definitely go back again, but I'm sticking to ribs and chicken. I'll update of I try anything new, and I noticed they had beef ribs and maybe a few other things on the menu, which I look forward to trying.





5102 FM 1960 West
Houston, Texas 77069
(281) 537-1125
M-S, 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment